Naseer Ahmed ( Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi )
Rehana Rehman ( Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi )
Anwar-ul- Hassan Gilani ( Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi )
Madam, prevalence of male infertility with its associated social and health problems calls for an insight for its elucidation.1 Over the past few decades, there have been many experimental and clinical studies on the pathophysiology of oxidative stress and its impact on fertility disorders, both in men and women. Oxidative stress impairs sperm function and count, damage to DNA and accelerates the cellular apoptotic functions leading to the inability to achieve conception or lack of development of the embryo. 234563
Disclaimer: None to declare.
Conflict of Interest: None to declare.
Funding Sources: We received support from Department of Biological and biomedical sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
1. Alam F, Khan TA, Rehman R. Stress of infertility: Can the couple cope? J Pak Med Assoc 2018;68:679-680.
2. Walczak-Jedrzejowska R, Wolski JK, Slowikowska-Hilczer J. The role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in male fertility. Cent European J Urol 2013;66:60-7. doi: 10.5173/ceju.2013.01.art19.
3. Mendiola J, Torres-Cantero AM, Moreno-Grau JM, Ten J, Roca M, Moreno-Grau S, et al, Food intake and its relationship with semen quality: a case-control study. Fertil Steril 2009;91:812-8. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.01.020.
4. Tahvilzadeh M, Hajimahmoodi M, Toliyat T, Karimi M, Rahimi R. An evidence‐based approach to medicinal plants for the treatment of sperm abnormalities in traditional Persian medicine. Andrologia 2016;48:860-79. doi: 10.1111/and.12676.
5. Zheng RL, Zhang H. Effects of ferulic acid on fertile and asthenozoospermic infertile human sperm motility, viability, lipid peroxidation, and cyclic nucleotides. Free Radic Biol Med 1997;22:581-6.
6. Khan M, Siddiqui N. Role of Ajwa in the treatment and prevention of ischaemic heart disease. J Pak Med Assoc 2017;67:1954