International Workshop on “The Role of the General Practitioner in the Protection of the Environment”
On the 4 and 5 December, 1993, in Cortona (Arezzo), ISDE held an “International Workshop” on “The Role of the General Practitioner in the Protection of the Environment”. Among the fourteen speakers were also Dr. Lotte T Newman, Regional Vice President of WONCA (UK) and Dr. Eddie T. Chan, Regional Vice President of WONCA (Hong Kong). ISDE was established in 1990 and is having growing success with colleagues throughout the world. The aim of the association is to unite into a NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) all those Medical Doctors who intend to inform and make patients, people and government aware of environmentally linked health problems, so that a global consensus for a new, environmentally sustainable and peaceful society may be reached.
Aims of the Recommendations
- Contribute to the understanding of the role of physicians in the protection of the environment;
- Suggest practical opportunities to develop this role at an individual and at a social level;
- Clarify reasons for self-identification as a member of Doctors for the Environment organisation;
- Promote sharing of methods and experiences of intervention in Environmental protection,
- Identify the contribution of the organisation of Doctors for the Environment to the individual colleagues to help them in their commitment for environmental protection.
1. The Doctor for the Environment (DE) is aware of his/her role as family doctor in orientating the social behaviour and personal life-style of the patients and of the community at large from the point of view of personal and community health; He/she is also aware of the need of scientific self-education and instruction on communication techniques on the specific topics. He/she currently dedicates some personal time to this up-dating and also to disseminate useful and accurate information on environmental and behavioural matters within the community.
2. For the same reason, the DE personally behaves consistently with the contents of the environmental orientation he/she gives to the community. In fact, the first rule is to use example as the main method of personal communication. His/her method of education of the population is carefully oriented to avoid the development of inappropriate quilt feelings at an individual level.
3. The DE acts in the local situation promoting the participation of physicians to the social decisions on environ-mental matters. This participation represents at the same time a duty and a right of the physicians, as their competence is needed to point out the relevance of environmental protection acts in preserving human health.
4. The DE currently utilizes his/her competence on environmental risk factors for evaluating symptoms of the individual patients and for orientating the diagnosis. For this. purpose, he/she evaluates the appropriateness of currently using an Environmentally Oriented Medical Record.
5. The DE develops a competence for epidemiologic evaluation of environmentally - related diseases at a community level and is actively committed in the production of data and information on this matter for the community.
6. The Doctors for the Environment Association (ISDE) promotes activities of permanent education of physicians in the field of environmental health, communication techniques, epidemiological methods. This activity is developed through an appropriate School in cortona(Arezzo, Italy). The School of Cortona organizes courses, workshops, seminars on the specific matters; produces didactic material both on paper and on video in Italian and English; implements a data bank collecting international literature and individual documents produced or provided by ISDE members.
7. The ISDE institutes a Working Group for the study of an Environmentally Oriented Medical record, to be translated in several languages and sent to DEs who are willing to use it in their practice.
8. The ISDE promotes meetings and workshops dec11-cated to the exchange of information on practical experiences conducted by individual physicians on environmental protection or on environmental - related health problems in their area, which involved ISDE members.
9. The ISDE promotes awareness and knowledge among its associated on the methods of “Active Medicine”, suggesting fields of application through the exchange of experience at an international level.
10. The ISDE promotes the participation at a local, National and International level of physicians in the development of politics for environmental protection.
Tenth Annual Symposium - P.S.P, 22-24 March, 1995.
The Tenth Annual Symposium of the Pakistan Society of Physicians, Karachi Chapter will be held onMarch22 to 24, 1995 at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Karachi. The theme of the Symposium is “Preventive Medicine”. Further details can be bad from the Chairman, P.S.P. Secretariat, 3rd Floor, Amber Medical Centre, M.A. Jinnah Road, Karachi-74400.