1. DeMaeyer E, Adiels-tegman M. The prevalence of anaemia in the world. World Health Stat Q 1985;38:302-16.
2. Katzman R, Novack A, Pearson H. Nutritional anaemia in an inner-city community. JAMA 1972;222:670-3.
3. Pablo VS, Windom R, Pearson HA. Disappearance of iron deficiency anaemia in a high risk infant population given supplemental iron. N Engl J Med 1985; 313:1239-40.
4. Hoekelman RA, Fredman SB, Nelson NM, et al. Primary paediatric care; iron deficiency anaemia. 2nd ed. Boston: Mosby Year Book 1992, p.1308.
5. Behrman RE, Kleigman RM. Nelson essentials of paediatrics: Hematology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunder 1994, pp. 513-48.
6. Stanfield P, Brueton M, Chan M, et al. Diseases of children in the subtropics and tropics; haemotological disorders. 4th ed. Kent: E. Arnold 1991, p. 825.
7. Hoekelman RA, Fredman SB, Nelson NM, et al. Primary paediatric care; iron deficiency anaemia. 2nd ed. Boston: Mosby Year Book 1992, p.1308.
8. Haddy TB, Jurkowski C, Brody H,et al. Iron deficiency with and without anemia in infants and children. Am J Dis Child 1974;128:787-92.
9. Czajka-Narins DM, Haddy TB, Kallen DJ. Nutrition and social correlates in iron deficiency anemia. Am J Clin Nutr 1978;31: 955-60.
10. Lehman F, Gray-Donald K, Mongeon M, et al. Iron deficiency anemia in one year old children of disadvantaged families in Montreal. Can Med Assoc J 1992;146: 1571-7.
11. Campbell AGM, McIntosh N. Forfar and Arneil's text book of Pediatrics; disorders of blood and reticuloendothelial system. 4th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone 1993, p. 919.
12. National Nutrition Survey 1985-87, Report. Nutrition Division, National Institute of Health, Government of Pakistan, 1988 p. 35.
13. Molla A, Khaurshid M, Molla AM. Prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia in children of the urban slums of Karachi. J Pak Med Assoc 1992;42:118-21.
14. Thaver IH, Baig L. Anaemia in children. Can simple observations by primary care Provider Help in Diagnosis? J Pak Med Assoc 1994;44:282-4.
15. Reeves JD, Usaf MC, Yip R, et al. Iron deficiency in infants: the influence of mild antecedent infection. J Pediatr 1984;105:874-9.
16. Pakistan Demographic and Health Survey (PDHS) 1990/1991. National Institute of Population Studies, Islamabad, Pakistan. July 1992.
17. Behrman RE, Kleigman RM, Arvin AM, et al. Nelson textbook of paediatric; iron deficiency anaemia. 15th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1996, p.1387.
18. WHO offset publication No.59. Guidelines for training community health workers in nutrition. Geneva: WHO, 1981, p. 45.
19. Dallman PR, Reeves JD, Driggers DA, et al. Diagnosis of iron deficiency: the limitations of laboratory tests in predicting response to iron treatment in 1 year old infants. J Pediatr 1981;99:376-81.
20. Dallman PR, Yip R, Johnson C. Prevalence and causes of anaemia in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 1984;39:437-42.
21. Dallman PR. Iron deficiency in the weanling: a nutritional problem on the way to resolution. Acta Paediatr Scand 1986;323:59-67.
22. Cunningham FG, MacDonald PC, Gant NF, et al. Williams Obstetrics; pre-term and post-term pregnancy and fetal growth retardation. 19th ed. London: Prentice- Hall International 1993, p. 854.
23. Grindulis H, Scott PH, Belton NR, et al. Combined deficiency of iron and vitamin D in Asian toddlers. Ar5ch Dis Child 1986;61:843